Sunday, April 20, 2008

Setting the Scene

You get your good years...and you get your less than wonderful years, and so far, 2008 has been shaping up to be one of the latter. But the downhill slider has done a sudden turnaround, and now I'm off overseas. In SIX DAYS!!!! [spins around excitedly]

What's happened?
I'll set the scene briefly. :-) Norbert was offered a contract position in Germany, just before Christmas last year...and he accepted and promptly left on 3rd January. My original plan was to go to Germany after he had finished the contract (beginning of June), and then we would have a brief holiday and come home. But various circumstances (I won't bore you with the details) have led me to a change of plans and I'M GOING EARLY!!! Woohoo!!! I'll be away for 9 1/2 weeks!

The general itinerary
I leave next Saturday, 26th April and and fly to Frankfurt, then catch a train to a little place called Fulda which is about an hour away. Fulda is where Norbert has been working and this map shows where it is....sort of in the middle.

I've got 2 days to get over jet-lag and then we are off to Berlin where we have a family wedding to attend....but then back to Fulda where Norbert will have to complete his contract. And what will I do? Well, I thought I would shop, sightsee, sleep, read, draw and continue to learn German. Sound like a plan? [big grin]

On 1st June Norbert will have finished work so we will spend a couple of weeks sightseeing a bit further afield, and then we are off on an amazing tour called the 'Hurtigruten & Arctic Circle' tour.

Here's a brief blurb which will explain it better than I could:
"Visit Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and travel to Stockholm, Sweden. Then take the overnight ferry to Helsinki in Finland and continue north towards Lapland. Visit the interesting Arctic Center before you cross the Arctic Circle. Stop at the Santa Claus workshop, then continue through the Finnish Lapland to Kirkenes in Norway where you board your ship for the world's most beautiful sea voyage: the Hurtigruten Cruise. Land in Saint Olaf's town Trondheim and continue to Lillehammer before arriving in Oslo."

Can you see why I'm excited?? [huge grin]

The next few days....
...won't go fast enough, but the huuuuge To Do list...work stuff and 'getting ready to go' list will make the next few days fly, I'm sure.

My next blog posting will be the night before I leave, and then...well, I'll post as often as I can so you can enjoy the trip with me. Please put a comment on as often as you can too, because I know from experience that its so wonderful to have contact with 'back home'. Tell me what you're doing, or just how the weather is! And wonderful too, to hear from new friends.

And now, off to try and turn a 32kg suitcase into a 20kg suitcase. [grin]

10 comments:

Ingrid said...

Hello Marlene,
glad to hear that you are coming to Germany. Hope you have arrived safely in the meantime.
Get over the jetlag soon and enjoy your time here!
Ingrid from Germany

Cheryl Taylor-Cox said...

Can't wait to read the next installment. Well maybe the one after next when you have actually the country. ROFL.

Have a sensational time Marlene and please write lots of nice long blog posts with pictures so we all get to travel with you.

Cheryl.
xxx

Cheryl Taylor-Cox said...

Sorry, that should read:

Well maybe the one after next when you have actually LEFT the country.

cheryltc

Anonymous said...

Hey Mum,

Sounds good. I'm hoping to get some annual leave whilst you are gone. Pat will be gone for four weeks so I'll be very lonely!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene, enjoy your vacation in Germany and have a real good time over here.

theother66 (formally MadMiller) said...

Hi Marlene

Found your blog - thanks for the link :).

You could spend some of your 'free' time in Germany 'writing' - you do that so well.

Enjoy your 'travel care kit' - hope it makes the flight a little more enjoyable (if that's possible)

Relax. Enjoy. Have Fun. And laugh.

Allison

Skye said...

hey mum
have a great flight! I am so proud of you for being spontaneous!! As you know, its alot easier to make these snap decisions when you have a mum back home to - bail you out of dodgy hostels, top up your mobile phone when your stuck in a small town in canda, reply to all your mail and send you care packages!! luckily Grandma is now in adelaide hey!!! lol!!
look forward to you being on my side of the world as it will make the time difference easier!
love you lots
skye xoxox

Bruce said...

Hi Marlene
Glad something great has come out of something not so great.
I hope you have a wonderful time Regards to Norbert as well.
I'm also buggering off for 6 weeks mid year to explore the Canadian Rockies by foot and by kayak etc.
Paddling with Killer Whales
see www.youtube.com/watch?v=n23_IsU4Uic

Hope you have a fantastic time

cheers Bruce

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene, Plse thank Norbert for the email - Cheers, and good traveling! Uwe & Carole

Anonymous said...

Hey Mum, Jamie here, WOW! i was sort of under the impression that this was going to be a fairly light read...was i mistaken!....This is the first time ive checked up on your travels and must remember to do it a bit more often because ther was a fair bit of reading for me to catch up on...You certainly are a serious blogger!!... Anyhoo sounds like all is going well, and you are having a good time.. and like those German lessons are beginning to pay off.....

Enjoy Yourself..Jamie